Event Schedule To Be Announced
– Neighborhood Tree Decorating
– Neighborhood Tree Lighting
– Adult Holiday Open Houses
– Family Caroling and Refreshments
– Tennessee School for the Deaf Tree Lighting
Monday, January 9, 2017
Akin Gym Health Room, TSD
Present: Nancy Campbell, Carolyn Williams, Jeanne Fair, Mary Wiginton, Jim Staub, Brian Douglas, Bob Dziewulski, Marsha Hinde, Nathan Hunter, Mike Martin, John Michael Scott, Krista Wiegand, Joe Hultquist.
Unable to attend: Amy Brooks, Joanna Pennoyer, Jessica Rodocker.
President Nancy Campbell called the meeting to order 7:02pm.
October Minutes: The minutes from the last meeting were accepted after two minor changes.
Treasurer’s Report: Mary Wiginton
Mary gave the Treasurer’s Report saying we now have $3942.71 in the bank with an operating balance of $1306.66.
Mary gave out the proposed budget for discussion and approval.
The membership campaign is going great. So far, 77/198 households have paid dues. This is about 39%. We also have $600.00 in additional donations. We need to make a final push at the July 4th picnic. Mary McPherson was the winner of the Stanley’s gift card in the early membership drawing.
Nancy has made an additional flyer to promote membership.
Shirts were not ordered for the marathon due to the late notification that it would go through our neighborhood this year. Shirts will be sold at the July 4th picnic.
The July 4th budget has been reduced to $100.00 dollars. We can no longer afford to pay a band $200/$250 if we don’t win the money from the Knoxville Track Club. Hopefully people will bring the food, paper goods etc. We will have some money to buy what we need. Unless we get a donation earmarked for July 4th, we will depend on the generosity of neighbors for all the food.
The proposed budget of $3942.71 was approved. (Hunter/Dziewulski)
Neighborhood Grant: Carolyn Williams
Carolyn and Nancy are working on a grant from the Office of Neighborhoods regarding the entrance to Island Home Park. They are applying for $3000.00. The main purpose would be beautification of the entrance so we have an entrance that reflects our neighborhood. Many of the ideas have come from neighbors and the Garden Club. Their main focus will be the Trolley Island at the entrance.
Carolyn and her husband Wayne, Nancy Campbell, Joe Hultquist and Lisa Stanley met at the Island and came up with a tentative plan. The proposed plan includes a river rock wall, dogwood trees and native plants. The wall would be 3 feet tall to prevent trucks from driving through the Island. One requirement is the city must have access to mow and weed-eat the area.
David Brace was consulted and he MAY cut the Island down just a bit to allow a better turn area for trucks. He also said the city would paint the handrails on the bridge.
There was a lot of discussion about pillars at the top entrance to the neighborhood but at this time it is cost prohibitive. Approximate cost would be $10,000/column. Joe will talk with Buddy Mulkey or Eddie Pruitt about their ideas.
Joe talked with Ivan Harmon at the Sheriff’s Department and he will have some of the inmates clear the brush on both sides of the entrance for us. Joe also suggested applying for the Home Depot Grant which could be up to $3000.00.
We will have to match the grant with labor: constructing the rock wall; prep the planting area; pressure wash both side walls. Nathan can do a construction drawing for the wall and we can count his professional hours as well as other people who work. Carolyn asked all the board members to sign up for a job. We won’t know until May if we have been awarded any/all of the grant money.
Motion to proceed with the grant passed. (Hunter/Wiginton)
Easter Egg Hunt: Rebecca and Katie are working on this. Jim Staub will be the Easter Bunny. There will be an egg filling event at Rebecca’s house on the 24th OR you can stop by her house and get some eggs to fill at your convenience.
Marathon: Sunday, April 3, 2016. There will be 3 areas of focus: At TSD entrance which will be the water station; the entrance in front of the Williams’ house and the upper part of Spence. If there are volunteers, it would be nice to have some people at the corner of Maplewood and the boulevard by the Gammon’s house. We have new banners to hang at the entrance. They are looking for the small “Berma Shave” signs we used to have. We have cow bells and will ask TSD to set up the music again. Marathon information will be posted on the website and the kiosks. Please share all information on Next Door so all the neighbors have access to what is happening instead of only sharing it with the women’s group.
Dogwood Trail: Nancy reported that we are now a Dogwood Trail instead of a By-Way. We now have Pink Lines and the trail has been re-routed. The trails open on April 15th so please clean up your yards. Last year there were about 5000 visitors.
Porch Hops: Jessica Rodocker has agreed to organize the porch hops again! Right now the first one is scheduled for April 29th at the Pennoyers & the Bartons. She is still looking for one more. The second one is June 10th and she is looking for 3 homes to host. Time is from 6-9pm serving light snacks. BYOB – bring your own beverage.
South Knoxville Neighborhood and Business Coalition (SKNBC): Nancy Campbell
Nancy reported that on Tuesday, April 19th, the Urban Wilderness will have a speaker, Charles Sims, to talk about the economic impact the trails can have on South Knoxville. This will be a big event according to Carole Evans. The Appalachian Bike Club will also be there.
Knoxville SOUP’s next meeting will be on April 7th at Dara’s Garden at 6pm. People present ideas which are voted on at the end of their presentations. The winners receives money for their idea.
June 12th is South Knoxville Day at Chapman Pool. More information later.
Park Improvement Update: Nancy and Carolyn met with Lori Goerlich about the latest on the park plans. There are two projects before ours. Nancy and Carolyn stressed what we wanted at the park. There was discussion about building some wall which would be low enough for people to sit on.
TSD Construction Update: Justin Hall, Rentenbach, sent a form to Nancy for all complaints. She will put some at the kiosk for people to fill out and give to Nancy.
Nancy, Mary, Joe and David Brace met with Becky Duncan Massey about the traffic pattern for all the construction trucks. Greg Stitch is the State Project Manager. We do not want them coming down the boulevard or Maplewood – those roads are too narrow. An option would be a temporary gate at the top of campus so trucks could enter from Island Home Pike. When the Dining Hall is torn down this summer, all construction trucks will use the lower entrance off Spence Place.
TSD community service project
Easter Egg Hunt
TSD Construction Complaint form
Bob’s article about South Knoxville’s new businesses.
General Meeting Plans:
Kathy and David Keck requested the use of Island Home Baptist Church for our next General Meeting. It was approved by the deacons. It will be a potluck and will begin at 6:00pm. The meeting will be advertised via email, Next Door and the Kiosk.
Vulcan: Joe reported that the blast last week was strong and he encouraged everyone to please contact him with any incidental information you may have after a blast – pictures moved, crack in the dry wall etc. Bill Hahnemann wants to have a seismometer in his yard. It is not there yet. Vulcan says we can have up to 3 boxes. Vulcan has invited Joe’s committee to come observe a blast.
Neighborhood Award: Brian and Debra Douglas were nominated for the Diana Conn Good Neighbor of the Year Award.
Island Home Park: Nancy suggested we “brand” ourselves as Island Home Park instead of Island Home.
Sidewalks: Nancy contacted the city about sidewalks in Island Home Park that are in disrepair – i.e.: in front of Harry Bayless’ house and several others. The city sent her an explanation of how they evaluate sidewalks and the order of repair. The sidewalk on Spence Place is actually on the city right of way. If it was 8’ – 10’ wide it could count as a Greenway.
Lots of speeding KAT buses coming down Fisher Place. It was suggested to contact Brian Malone to see what steps to take to slow them down. We may want to put up a speed sign or ask for a radar.
It is rumored that the building across the street from the Round Up will be a pizza place downstairs and a hostel for bicyclist on the top.
Meeting was adjourned: 8:37pm (Douglas/Wiginton)
Present: Nancy Campbell, Carolyn Williams, Jeanne Fair, Mary Wiginton, Jim Staub, Amy Brooks, Brian Douglas, Robert Dziewulski, Nathan Hunter, Jessica Rodocker, John Michael Scott, Bill Hahnemann, Joe Hultquist.
Unable to attend: Marsha Hinde, Mike Martin, Joanna Pennoyer, Krista Wiegand
President Nancy Campbell called the meeting to order at 7:00pm.
Minutes from October meeting: Some minor changes were made to the minutes. Jeanne will submit these to Rick Alexander to post on the website.
Treasurers’ Report: Mary Wiginton gave us an update on the budget. We currently have 3622.98 in the bank but $ 2316.32 is for the 2 Century Grant and the Bicentenial Grant. This money needs to be spent in something related to those grants.
A discussion was held about how much to give as a memorial to deceased members of IHPNA. In the past few years, it has been very inconsistent with amounts as much as $75.00 for one person. With our current dues structure, we cannot continue to do this. Carolyn reminded the board in the years she was president, we gave $100.00 at the end of the year naming all the deceased residents of Island Home Park. It was decided we will go back to this method.
Mary talked about the annual budget. Our fiscal year is January – December – a change made last year. We were actually in the hole for 2015, but we do have money in the bank. Several things were discussed: July 4th picnic which costs us $450.00. It seems that is high for a picnic. In the past, we got money from the Knoxville Track Club for Best Neighborhood on the marathon-we don’t anticipate winning that any more. This could be an area to scale back on. The newsletter is now donated so that is not an expense at this time.
Dues are currently $15.00/household or $10.00/Seniors. We really need an all-out effort to collect dues to support our budgeted items. Bob Dziewulski checked into Pay Pal which would include a fee of less than 2%. There was some discussion about this and we will continue to think about online ways to pay dues. It seems one of the best ways to collect dues is face to face with people in your district. By going door to door, you can make a connection to people in your district and they can get to know the board members. We need to help with this effort and be visible.
The executive board will meet and work on a budget to be submitted at the next board meeting.
Membership Campaign for 2016 – A committee has been formed to come up with a membership campaign plan. This committee includes Connie Vogt, Normalee Neubauer, Jessica Rodocker, Bob Dziewulski and maybe Sue Wrisberg. These people will be the anchor group but all the board members need to be involved.
Website – Rick Alexander and Kurt Zinser met to discuss the website and now Rick has access to make changes. The website is not current and needs to be updated if we are going to have one. Please be patient while the updates occur and send all new information to Rick. Kurt will be putting the website on his server so we won’t be paying for one.
Newsletter – The next newsletter will be published the first of February. Nancy will do a President’s letter, SKNBC and Knoxville Soup; Jeanne will get an article from TSD about the volunteer day; Margaret Webb on the Garden Club; Joe Hultquist on Vulcan; Bob Dziewulski on the new Brewery and Coffee Shop; Skip Scalf on a Historical fact; Connie Vogt on the Membership Drive and a list of the committees we have so far. We have 2 deaths – Warren Maclin and Judy Cummins. (Mildred Hiscock has also died since our meeting). We did not know of any births or special news. The website address needs to be changed in the newsletter to ihpna.org.
Porch Hops – Jessica has agreed to coordinate this again. The first one is tentatively set for April 29th at the Williams’ house.
SKNBC – We need another representative for this organization. We can have two. They meet once a month. The purpose is to keep communities involved with each other and to let people know what’s happening in South Knoxville. They also keep a close watch on what is happening in City Government that may affect South Knoxville. We will continue to be a part of this organization.
Knox County Emergency Management Agency – KCEMA – Joe mentioned this is an emphasis for the city and the county. Debbie Malone has agreed to serve on this committee. We need other people on the committee. David Massey will have a meeting of all volunteers for neighborhood emergency contacts.
Committees and Volunteer Positions
Nancy handed out a copy of the Committees and current vacancies. Several of those spots were filled by board members. A list of the committees and available spots will be put in the newsletter so neighbors can see who is on a committee and hopefully sign up to join so we can have all the spots filled.
Amy Brooks asked about using Next Door as a means to communicate instead of the current group we are using. A new Google group is another option. Amy will send out invitations to join Next Door so the board can see if we like using it.
Vulcan Quarry Blasting Joe Hultquist and Bill Hahnemann met with two people from Vulcan. One was the site manager Brandon Bounes and Carl Vanhover. Joe reported that Vulcan seemed to want to work with us and they do understand our issues. The ground movement and blast pressure may be due to the way they blast and now they are blasting the face of the pit towards IHP. There will be one more blast in mid-January. They have also changed blasting companies and are using electronic detonation.
Vulcan and Sauls Company will monitor the effects of the blast. They are willing to put 3 or more seismometers around Island Home Park to measure the blasts so there will be measureable data. This testing will be of benefit to Vulcan as well as Island Home Park. Bill will have 1 instrument in his yard on Spence Place.
The committee will meet and then meet again with Vulcan to try and work out a plan. They have been invited to go over to the quarry and observe the blasting.
Councilman Brown has been in touch with Vulcan concerning this issue as it will be affecting his district when the blasting site changes.
Park Improvements Update
Nathan reported that it seems Lori Goerlich from the city wants to make the path in our park a part of the Greenway thus the wide nature of the trail. We need to be clear we want a pedestrian walkway and NOT a multi-use trail. Joe suggested a Resolution be sent from IHPNA to Joe Walsh. At this point in time, the communication needs to be between the neighborhood association and Lori and not Nathan. Jessica moved/Carolyn seconded: we need to send a letter to Joe Walsh asking that Island Home Park be consulted before the city moves ahead with anything. We would like a plan that works for the residents of IHP. Passed.
Tennessee School for the Deaf
Nancy has been receiving emails from Greg Steck from the State of Tennessee General Services. He is the new liaison between the State and Island Home Park. There is still a lot of concern from neighbors about the traffic pattern for all the trucks coming to the construction project which is slated to last at least 2 years. The state submitted a plan: Spence Place, right on Willis and left into the school. IHP residents do not want the trucks in the neighborhood. “This is a TSD project and the inconvenience should be at the school not the neighborhood” said one neighbor.
The consensus from Island Home Park seems to be Island Home Pike to a temporary gate at the top of campus. A meeting will be set up with Senator Becky Duncan Massey to discuss our concerns and see if she can help in any way. The meeting will be held at Ijams. Joe will call her and get the meeting set up.
Island Home Avenue Closure Update
There are still problems with the construction area. Large trucks are still using Hillwood even though the No Truck signs (which have always been there) are still posted. Carolyn talked with David McGinley and he said all the detour signs are down. At this point, that is not exactly correct. The new 3 way stop at the entrance/exit to Island Home Park is up but no word on if it is permanent or temporary. Carolyn likes it since it slows down the cars in front of her house. Jeanne report some passive/aggressive behavior by the workers – parking their trucks in the road and expecting cars to go around it with any flagman. Will there be any more closures? No one is for sure at this point.
Requests from Neighbors/Board Members
Hillwood – Nathan Hunter requested that we write the Mayor and ask her to put improvements on Hillwood as a top priority. This is the time to ask since she is working on her budget. There was a lot of discussion on this topic. IF Hillwood is improved, will that just allow more development on Hillwood adding more traffic to the road? The original plan for Hillwood (Joe has the blueprints) was to move it to the intersection of Island Home Pike and South Haven. The road would go up the hill behind the Nursing Home. This plan could also encourage more development in this area. It was suggested we wait and see how these new apartments affect the traffic and see if the new road on the river helps
It was decided to save this for a neighborhood meeting so get all the stakeholders’ feedback instead of just the boards input.
Sidewalks near the pillars – The sidewalks near the pillars have been broken due to all the construction trucks parked on them. John Michael Scott asked the board to see what could be done do get them repaired. It was decided to send a letter to the City Engineer asking him to address the problem.
Small Grants – Nancy and Carolyn will attend a meeting on January 14th to learn about small grants that are available to neighborhoods. The grant would be used to help clean up the entrance at Baker Creek – power washing the walls; landscaping etc. They will report back to the board at our next meeting.
Meeting Adjourned at 9:00pm